TEXTO ORIGINAL
•
ENGLISH
Music taught me to tame my fears
A grunge icon and daughter of a legend, Paris Jackson embodies a generation that flirts with transgression and poetry. Between her musical universe, where folk crumbles beneath raw and visceral riffs, and her forays into fashion for leading designers such as Alexander Wang and Stella McCartney, Paris Jackson plays the chameleon and never ceases to surprise us. Her secret? A raw instinct and an unapologetic vulnerability that resonate as much on stage as during fashion weeks, and also on her social media, which she uses to share her causes—notably the defense of LGBTQIA+ rights and animal rights. A gentle strength that resonates intensely, the singer confides that she never feels more herself than when she disconnects from the world, isolated in her van, guitar in hand, in complete communion with nature. Between two sets, the protean artist spoke candidly about her mood, her inspirations, and her future aspirations…
How do you manage to juggle this desire to disconnect and the tours?
I'm not going to lie, it's complicated. But as soon as I can, I head into the woods. Playing guitar around a campfire, walking barefoot in the grass, or just breathing in the fresh air, it completely recharges me.
Many consider you a voice of your generation. Is that a responsibility you feel?
That's kind, thank you! But honestly, I don't see myself as a spokesperson. I make my music for myself, and if it resonates with others, that's the greatest reward.
When you come to Paris, what are your favorite spots?
I'm the kind of person who likes to be guided. My Parisian friends know all the best spots, so I follow them blindly. That's often where I make my best discoveries.
What's playing on repeat in your headphones right now?
Microwave, without hesitation. And otherwise, Marcy Playground, Bright Eyes, Brand New, Modest Mouse… I'm in a very nostalgic indie vibe these days.
A mantra that guides you?
“One day at a time.” It may sound basic, but it reminds me to stay grounded.
Any advice for those who are hesitant to get started?
Every path is different, and mine was made easier by where I come from. But if I had to say one thing, it would be: go for it, don't be afraid. Those small, clumsy steps always pay off in the end. And that's worth everything.
Hello Paris, I believe that before our interview, you were engrossed in a series that you binge-watch?
Yes, absolutely! Ryan Murphy's Monsters. This season follows the Menendez brothers and I'm totally hooked.
You seem very connected to the art world, is that something that has always been a part of you?
Absolutely. I didn't have a "traditional" education, but my father was very keen on us discovering the world through art. He often took us to museums, and I think that's where I discovered Modigliani, who deeply moves me. And then, as for music, it's like a second wind for me. I grew up with it in my blood, so art, in all its forms, is a language that resonates within me.
You started playing music at 13, but you really got going five years ago. What made you take the plunge?
It was a mix of encouragement and courage (something I never thought I'd have). My ex played a huge role: he helped me overcome my fear of sharing my music. I'd always wanted to, but stage fright completely paralyzed me. We started as a folk duo, with him taking the lead. And then one day, it clicked: "Why not me?" It wasn't instantaneous, but each step gave me a little more confidence to go solo.
Is music a form of therapy for you?
Yes, absolutely. It's like all my emotions, good and bad, find their outlet in it. It's impossible to really put it into words, but it's incredibly liberating. Music offers me a space where I can lay down my emotional baggage, without judgment.
You cite Kurt Cobain, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, and the Pixies as major inspirations. How would you describe your style?
My starting point is always folk. It's kind of like the backbone of my songs. But lately, I've been exploring more grunge sounds. I like that contrast between something raw and organic. It reflects who I am.
Between your Mötley Crüe tattoo and your passion for stage diving—plunging into the crowd—it's clear that metal holds a special place in your life. What do you feel on stage? Any memorable anecdotes?
When I get on stage, it's like my body and mind completely wake up. I'm myself. Every second counts, and the energy is insane. Once, I screamed so loudly into the mic that it broke (RIP). We had to improvise by grabbing the bassist's, and my sound engineer handled it like a pro. It was chaotic, but that's part of the fun. And frankly, it makes those moments even more memorable.
What inspires you?
Everything: the pain, the love, the gray areas in between. These moments of limbo, when you're caught between two states, are often the richest for me. I need to feel intensely in order to write.
You are also a figure in the fashion world. Between your photo shoots and your presence at fashion shows, what does this world represent for you?
For me, fashion is a playground. I can express who I am, what I feel, or even the album I'm listening to on repeat. An outfit is like a song: it tells a story. And that's incredibly powerful. But currently, I feel less involved, I'm more of an observer than before, because I'm focusing on my own creations.
How would you define your style?
A strange mix between Kurt Cobain and Janis Joplin.
Do you have any leading designers? French ones, for example…
I love Jacquemus and the world of Jean-Paul Gaultier fascinates me!
You also act, with roles in American Horror Stories and Habit. Is there a character you particularly enjoyed playing?
Oh yes, the last project I filmed this summer was One Spoon of Chocolate, directed by RZA. We were like one big family on set. I loved working with Shameik Moore and E'Myri Crutchfield. We laughed so much that some days we almost forgot we were working.
You are a committed artist, between your support for the LGBTQIA+ cause and your role as an ambassador for KVD Beauty. Why is this commitment essential to you?
I think that when you're in the spotlight, you have a responsibility. There's no point in having a platform if you don't use it to make a difference. It's a driving force in everything I do.
You seem very connected to nature. On your Instagram, we often see your van and incredible landscapes. What is your relationship with it?
I have a true devotion to nature. For me, it's all one. When I'm in nature, I feel like I'm back where I belong, as if everything falls into harmony. I sincerely believe that we are a continuation of nature, not separate entities. Living surrounded by concrete is almost unnatural, you know? That's also why music speaks to me so deeply. It helps me express this vision, this need for a profound connection with the world around us.
Ícone grunge e filha de uma lenda, Paris Jackson representa uma geração que transita entre a transgressão e a poesia. Entre seu universo musical, em que o folk se desfaz em riffs crus e viscerais, e suas incursões pela moda ao lado de grandes nomes como Alexander Wang e Stella McCartney, Paris assume diferentes facetas e nunca deixa de surpreender. Seu segredo? Um instinto puro e uma vulnerabilidade que ela não tenta esconder, e que se manifestam com a mesma força no palco, durante as semanas de moda e também em suas redes sociais, que usa para defender causas importantes para ela, especialmente os direitos LGBTQIA+ e a proteção dos animais.
Dona de uma força delicada que se faz sentir intensamente, a cantora conta que nunca se sente mais ela mesma do que quando se desconecta do mundo, isolada em sua van, com o violão nas mãos e em total comunhão com a natureza. Entre um compromisso e outro, a artista multifacetada falou abertamente sobre seu momento atual, suas inspirações e seus planos para o futuro...
Não vou mentir, é complicado. Mas, assim que posso, vou para o meio do mato. Tocar violão em volta de uma fogueira, andar descalça na grama ou simplesmente respirar ar puro me recarrega completamente.
Que gentil, obrigada! Mas, sinceramente, não me vejo como porta-voz de ninguém. Faço minha música para mim mesma e, se ela toca outras pessoas, essa é a maior recompensa.
Sou o tipo de pessoa que gosta de ser guiada. Meus amigos parisienses conhecem todos os melhores lugares, então sigo eles de olhos fechados. Geralmente é assim que faço as melhores descobertas.
Microwave, sem pensar duas vezes. E também Marcy Playground, Bright Eyes, Brand New, Modest Mouse... Ultimamente estou numa fase bem indie nostálgica.
“Um dia de cada vez.” Pode parecer básico, mas me lembra de manter os pés no chão.
Cada caminho é diferente, e o meu foi facilitado pelas circunstâncias de onde eu venho. Mas, se eu tivesse que dizer uma coisa, seria: vá em frente, não tenha medo. Aqueles pequenos passos meio desajeitados sempre acabam valendo a pena. E isso vale tudo.
Sim, totalmente! Monsters, do Ryan Murphy. Essa temporada acompanha os irmãos Menendez e eu estou completamente viciada.
Com certeza. Eu não tive uma educação “tradicional”, mas meu pai fazia muita questão de que a gente conhecesse o mundo através da arte. Ele costumava nos levar a museus, e acho que foi assim que descobri Modigliani, que me toca profundamente. E, quanto à música, ela é como um segundo fôlego para mim. Cresci com isso no sangue, então a arte, em todas as suas formas, é uma linguagem que ressoa dentro de mim.
Foi uma mistura de incentivo e coragem, algo que eu nunca achei que teria. Meu ex teve um papel enorme nisso: ele me ajudou a superar o medo de compartilhar minha música. Eu sempre quis fazer isso, mas o medo de subir no palco me paralisava completamente. Começamos como uma dupla de folk, com ele assumindo mais a frente. Até que um dia caiu a ficha: “Por que não eu?” Não aconteceu de uma hora para outra, mas cada passo me deu um pouco mais de confiança para seguir sozinha.
Sim, com certeza. É como se todas as minhas emoções, boas e ruins, encontrassem uma saída através dela. É difícil colocar isso realmente em palavras, mas é extremamente libertador. A música me oferece um espaço onde posso deixar toda a minha bagagem emocional, sem julgamentos.
Meu ponto de partida é sempre o folk. É meio que a espinha dorsal das minhas músicas. Mas, ultimamente, tenho explorado mais sonoridades grunge. Gosto desse contraste com algo cru e orgânico. Isso reflete quem eu sou.
Quando subo ao palco, é como se meu corpo e minha mente despertassem completamente. Eu sou eu mesma. Cada segundo importa e a energia é insana. Uma vez, gritei tão alto no microfone que ele quebrou. Descanse em paz. Tivemos que improvisar e pegar o microfone do baixista, e meu engenheiro de som resolveu tudo como um profissional. Foi caótico, mas isso faz parte da diversão. E, sinceramente, deixa esses momentos ainda mais inesquecíveis.
Tudo: a dor, o amor, todas aquelas áreas cinzentas entre uma coisa e outra. Esses momentos de transição, quando você fica presa entre dois estados, costumam ser os mais ricos para mim. Eu preciso sentir as coisas intensamente para conseguir escrever.
Para mim, a moda é um espaço para brincar. Posso expressar quem sou, o que estou sentindo ou até o álbum que estou ouvindo sem parar naquele momento. Uma roupa é como uma música: ela conta uma história. E isso é extremamente poderoso. Mas, atualmente, me sinto menos envolvida. Hoje sou mais observadora do que antes, porque estou focada nas minhas próprias criações.
Uma mistura estranha de Kurt Cobain com Janis Joplin.
Adoro Jacquemus, e o universo de Jean-Paul Gaultier me fascina!
Ah, sim. O último projeto que filmei neste verão foi One Spoon of Chocolate, dirigido por RZA. Éramos como uma grande família no set. Adorei trabalhar com Shameik Moore e E'Myri Crutchfield. A gente ria tanto que, em alguns dias, quase esquecia que estava trabalhando.
Acho que, quando você está sob os holofotes, existe uma responsabilidade. Não faz sentido ter uma plataforma se você não vai usá-la para fazer alguma diferença. Isso é uma força que move tudo o que faço.
Tenho uma verdadeira devoção à natureza. Para mim, tudo faz parte da mesma coisa. Quando estou na natureza, sinto que voltei para o lugar ao qual pertenço, como se tudo entrasse em harmonia. Acredito sinceramente que somos uma continuação da natureza, e não seres separados dela. Viver cercado de concreto é quase antinatural, sabe? É também por isso que a música fala comigo de uma forma tão profunda. Ela me ajuda a expressar essa visão, essa necessidade de ter uma conexão profunda com o mundo ao nosso redor.
Paris Jackson estrela a edição de dezembro de 2024 da Nylon France e fala sobre sua relação com a música, os medos que precisou enfrentar para seguir carreira, suas influências, moda, atuação, ativismo e sua conexão profunda com a natureza.
Publicação original
COMENTAR